Sep 092007
 

Last Tuesday I had almost back-to-back seizures and got to spend a few days in the hospital. I was already displeased with the gout being “one more thing” so the seizure definitely kicked it up a notch. Unfortunately, there is no clear cause, but the Levaquin definitely played a role since it lowers your seizure threshold. Secondarily, I suddenly stoppled the Ambien CR because I wanted to get off that drug. Unfortunately, suddenly stopping the Ambien can cause a seizure; not that I would have taken that too seriously before the seizure, but having a seizure the next day after suddenly stopping doesn’t look good (of course I’m back on the Ambien CR so I need to ask the neuro how I can get off safely on my next appt). Of course, because I didn’t take the Ambien that night I didn’t sleep well, and that also increases the risk for a seizure. I started a new antibiotic the night before the seizure (Septra DS) and I didn’t react well to the drug (shortness of breath, etc. so maybe an allergy); so that could also have played a role. All of those drug interactions before even considering that Lyme and Bartonella carry an increased risk of seizure. I went to see my neuro and he thinks that this was probably an isolated event and in 6-9 months can probably wean off the anti-seizure medication (pending, I’m sure, a lot of EEG’s). I guess at least I won’t have to worry about driving for a while (TX state law is no driving for 6 months).

Since writing the above (I’m really slow on posting lately) I’ve had another EEG. The tech got nervous after the strobe part of the test and would not proceed with the hyperventilation part of the test. The tech apparently thought that after the strobe results I was too high of a seizure risk for the hyperventilation test. Of course I didn’t have a seizure during the full EEG (hyperventilation and all) a matter of hours after the first seizures, and I am sure I was at a higher risk then (I’ve been on anti-seizure drugs since then so that has to help some). Overall, I think the tech was a little high-strung, and overly cautious. On the other hand if I had seized I am sure the 6 month no-driving clock would have started over; so maybe it is best to be a little more cautious. What I am curious to see is if my neuro is still optimistic about this being an isolated event after the latest EEG. On the other hand I am sure the Levequin is still playing a negative role so I am more interested in an EEG once I am off that antibiotic.

  2 Responses to “Seizure!!!”

  1. Billy’s post on the wet cell Cayce appliance has been deleted because it really looks like spam. Secondarily, it really seems like quackery that makes Ambrotose look legitimate.

  2. yikers! whole lot of seizin’ goin’ on! knock that off. glad you’re still with us, and keeping your sense of humor intact.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)

*