Aug 132005

Not the most timely post, but when I began the Solu-Medrol on Wednesday I was given the option to leave the IV line in and then I could just connect the next dose. Since the Solu-Medrol is packaged in a self administering pouch it certainly doesn’t require 2 brain cells to connect it up. On the other hand I had no intention of leaving the IV line connected and just planned on having Eriksgirl use a butterfly the next couple of days. Eriksgirl did not care for that idea for fear that she wouldn’t be able to get me – even though I had no doubts since she was very proficient drawing blood a few years ago – plus moron IV drug abusers do this kind of stuff all the time. As it turns out the IV line started really hurting about midnight on Wednesday and I yanked it out, which was fine because Eriksgirl did a fantastic job with the needle the next couple of days. Unfortunately, the home health agency will only allow the line to be in for 72 hours so they have to come on day 4 (today) to insert a new line. Little do they know, and it will have to remain that way, that it came out a long time ago. I am thankful that I will get to keep them out of 3 of the 5 infusions this time!

 Posted by at 7:28 pm

  5 Responses to “Eriksgirl Administering the Solu-Medrol”

  1. Sooo, when is your lovley lady applying to be an RN?

  2. Would love to be an RN. Plan on returning to school when the kids are a little older…

    I had never done an IV before, but I have drawn blood so this wasn’t fully out of left field. Erik had a lot faith in me… good or bad. Luckily I don’t think I disappointed. 🙂

  3. Eriksgirl met and exceeded my expectations for the IV! And that was before my radically lowerd expectations from the last home healcare IV! 🙁

  4. Interesting that your provider would not allow you to leave the tube in.

    The last time I had a major attack and called my neuro to request solumedrol, he set me up with a home service, instead of the ususal IV at his office.

    The service had promised to be there during the day to train my wife and I in self administration. I was in the process of moving, and we had everything packed up and on the truck, when a woman finaly showed up in the evening. But she was just delivering the supplies and promised that the nurse would be there shortly.

    She never showed.

    The next morning, I called my neuro’s office, and left a message asking for a contact at the health care service so I could complain.

    My own neuro was the guy on call that day. He tried getting hold of the servce, but being a Saturday, had no luck.

    So, he arranged to meet me, and inserted the tube himself, instructed me on cleaning and connecting the drip, and sent me on my way.

    So, for the next FIVE days, I had the tube taped to my arm, so I could plug in each day.

    Got me out of all the heavy lifting part of the move!

    Oh, and the service keeps sending me a bill for the nurse that never showed…..

  5. I don’t know why the neuro didn’t agree to leave it in 5 days. It might have come at the recommendation of the home health agency or he just saw no benefit in pushing things that far.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>